Donating stock or other appreciated securities to the Lupus Research Institute has three important benefits for the donor.
- For most gifts, the charitable deduction is the fair market value of the securities at the time of transfer.
- The donor avoids capital gains taxes.
- The donor pays no brokerage fees or sales commissions.
It is easy to make a gift to the Lupus Research Institute using appreciated securities.
- Notify your broker in writing that you wish to make a gift of securities to the Lupus Research Institute.
- Instruct your broker to contact us at 212-812-9881 for instructions on how to complete the transfer. The LRI can provide a sample letter for this purpose.
- Once your broker has notified us that the securities have been transferred, the LRI will mail a receipt to you. Retain this receipt for tax purposes.
Donors may claim an income tax deduction for the full market value of the securities up to a limit of 30% of adjusted gross income. You may carry any excess forward for an additional five years.